How to upload photos to Sarracenia Proboards Mar 8, 2021 14:46:48 GMT -5 greenthumb, sidorian, and 3 more like this
Post by SteveS on Mar 8, 2021 14:46:48 GMT -5
How to upload photos to Sarracenia ProboardsUploading your photos on to the forum can seem a confusing and daunting process at first, but by following a simple procedure everyone can share their Sarracenia photos.
There are multiple ways to upload photos to the forum, and this guide covers three of those; ImgBB, Flickr and uploading from a mobile phone.
Method 1: imgbb
To upload photos to ProBoards fast, free and easily you can use imgbb. Simply follow these steps:
1. Open imgbb.com/ to see their homepage. Click the blue button 'START UPLOADING'
2. This will open a file explorer window. Select the photo you want to upload from its location on your device. Click 'Open'
3. Your photo is then uploaded and you will see a small thumbnail of it.
4. Where it says 'Auto delete image' there is a drop down menu, so you can select how long you wish your photo to remain on the internet before it expires. Please select 'Don't autodelete' or your photo will eventually disappear from the forum.
5. Your upload is then completed, and you will see the 'Embed codes' box. Select 'BBCode full linked' from the menu, and you will see a code in the box below. This is your BBCode, and you need to Copy that code (CTRL+C).
6. Now return to Sarracenia Proboards and either reply to a message or start a new thread. You Paste (CTRL+V) your BBCode into your message or new thread.
7. With your BBCode pasted into Proboards, you can click between the 'BBCode' and 'Preview' tab at the bottom to reveal and preview your photo.
8. Lastly, click either 'Create Thread' or 'Create Post' in the bottom right corner and your photo and message will be posted on Sarracenia Proboards forum.
TIP: You can post multiple photos in one message by copying and pasting multiple BBCodes into one message.
Method 2: flickr
You can upload photos to Proboards from a Flickr photo hosting account. Accounts are free and allow users to upload 1000 photos without paying for a pro account. Flickr allows users to neatly organise your photos into folders, edit photos, and add metadata. You can also use Flickr to upload videos too.
Flickr procedure for uploading photos:
1. Create your own Flickr account on their website. Here is their guide to signing up for an account.
2. Once you have an account and you’re logged in, you’re ready to upload a photo. Starting at the Flickr main page, to Upload you click the arrow in a cloud icon at the top right of your screen.
3. This opens the uploading window. You can either Drag and Drop your photos from an open File Explorer window, or click the blue box 'Choose photos and videos to upload', which then opens a File Explorer for you to locate your photo.
4. Your file will then upload, and you will see a thumbnail of it appear in a new window. You can name the photo here, add tags, assign it a folder in your collection, edit, and set the levels of privacy you want (for Proboards, please make it Public). When you are done, click the blue box on the top right 'Upload Photo'.
5. Click on the blue 'Upload' box that pops up, confirming you want to upload the photo.
6. The photo is then uploaded and you will see it appear in your account's photostream
7. Click on your newly uploaded photo, and it will open it in a screen of its own. You will see a row of buttons on the bottom right of the screen. You click on the Share button (which has an Arrow icon). You can find the Share button between a notepad/edit button and a download button.
8. You will now have a Share box pop up. Select 'BBCode' and Copy (CTRL+C) the code you see. You can also select which size you want your image to appear as when you paste it to Proboards. Select 'Large'.
9. You then return to Sarracenia Proboards and Paste (CTRL+V) your BBCode into a Reply or New Thread.
10. With your BBCode pasted into Proboards, you can click between the 'BBCode' and 'Preview' tab at the bottom to reveal and preview your photo.
11. Click either Create Thread or 'Create Post' at the bottom right of your screen, and your photo and message will then be posted live on Sarracenia Proboards forum.
12. Your Flickr BBCode adds your name and photo's title below your photo, but you can choose not to have this option if you prefer.
13. To remove the details below your photo, highlight the second line of your BBCode in your Proboards message you are posting.
14. Delete the second line of your BBCode, leaving only the first line.
15. When you then post your reply or new thread, your photo will not have your name and photo title below it.
Method 3: Mobile phone
How to upload photos to Sarracenia Proboards from a mobile phone. This was tested using an iPhone, but hopefully this procedure is helpful for other devices too.
1. When viewing Sarracenia Proboards on a mobile device, there is no option to upload a photo whilst you are viewing the forum in 'Mobile view'. Mobile view looks like this...
2. To enable photo uploading, navigate to the very bottom of your screen, and on the right there will be a button labelled 'Desktop'. Click this.
3. The website should now reload on your phone in Desktop view, which looks like this...
4. Now when you reply or create a new thread you will see the 'Upload Image' box, next to the Subject line.
5. Proboards' native photo upload platform is Postimage, and a dialogue box to upload via Postimage will now open.
6. Choose the image you wish to upload by using the File Explorer to navigate to where photos are stored on your mobile.
7. Your photo will now start uploading.
8. Maybe it's just me, but every time the uploader crashes on my iPhone at this point. I get sent to a page saying '404 not found'. Click 'Proceed'.
9. By simply repeating the upload, it then works every time. So once again, click 'Choose Images' and navigate in the File Explorer to the location on your mobile where the photos are stored.
10. On the second attempt, photos from my mobile always upload successfully.
11. Scroll down to reveal your links. Highlight and copy the link below 'Hotlink for forums', or use the Copy button to the right of the link.
12. Now paste the 'Hotlink for forums' code from Postimage into your Sarracenia Proboards message, new thread or reply. You can switch between the BBCode and Preview buttons to reveal your image as a photo instead of code.
13. Once you post your reply or create your thread, your photo message will be live on Sarracenia Proboards.
............................................................................................................OK, it might seem a lot to take in but these are pretty simple steps, which when repeated will become second nature.
Hopefully it will now seem easier for members of the forum to post photos from their Sarracenia collection. We’d all love to see what you’re growing out there, so get uploading and sharing those Sarrs!
I want to gratefully acknowledge that this guide builds on the knowledge and efforts of many growers on this forum over the years, including Bristol, meizzwang, nimbulan, Alexis, and many others. As new ways of posting photos supersede these techniques, this guide can be updated by other admins to keep it an up-to-date resource.
Now here's a photo of a Sarracenia (a WWK x Legacy seedling) as a reward for reading this far...